Project Name: Lower Scott River Road Fuel Break Fire Line
Status: Funding has been applied for
The proposal is to construct a 30,000-foot long fire line. The fire line will be constructed along the upslope edge of the existing Lower Scott River Road Shaded Fuel Break. The fire line will be a minimum of 4 feet wide to mineral soil with an additional 6-foot pull back.
• Prepare the existing shaded fuel break for low intensity under burning and long-term maintenance by landowners.
• This fire line, in combination with the existing shaded fuel break, will protect upslope assets from wild land fire originating along Scott River Road or originating from upslope homes.
• To utilize this project for training of landowners in the principles of low intensity under burning and ongoing maintenance of shaded fuel breaks.
This fire line is identified in the Lower Scott River Fire Safe Council’s Community Wildfire Protection Plan as the next step for completion of the overall goal to protect assets along Scott River Road. Low intensity under burning is one of the most effective methods for maintenance of shaded fuel breaks.
• This fire line will create an easily maintainable break that landowners can utilize for additional wild land fire protection and maintenance of the existing shaded fuel break.
• Fire line will be a minimum of 4 feet wide to mineral soil with an additional 6 feet as a pull back.
• This line in combination with the existing fuel break can effectively protect the upslope assets along the Scott River Road.
• This project involves 25 landowners directly, through participation and future maintenance.
• Increased landowner Safety, Education and Training are key components and results of this project.
California Department of Forestry (CDF)
Klamath National Forest
Scott Valley Fire Protection District
Fruit Growers Supply Co.
Siskiyou County Road Dept.
USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS)
The Residents and Landowners of the Lower Scott River Fire Safe Council Area
Northern California Resource Center
P.O. Box 342 Fort Jones, California 96032